Associate Member - AMIChemE

Members with a proven level of knowledge and understanding of chemical engineering to Bachelors level with Honours (or higher) can advance to Associate Member and use the letters AMIChemE after their name.

As an Associate Member of IChemE you are likely to be a young professional working in chemical engineering or a closely related field. You may well be working towards qualification as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and/or Chartered Chemical Engineer (CEng)

View Associate Member profiles >>

What experience do I need and how to apply?

I hold an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering

If you hold a chemical engineering undergraduate degree, or an IChemE accredited degree of a different title, at Bachelors level with Honours (or higher) then you will be immediately eligible to apply for Associate Membership upon graduation. Apply online >>

I hold an undergraduate degree in a subject other than chemical engineering

For graduates who do not hold a chemical engineering degree, you may also be eligible by providing evidence of your chemical engineering experience for review. How do I apply >> 

Note: In July 2008 we reviewed our criteria for Associate Membership. Should you have made an enquiry/application for Associate Member before this date, under the new criteria, you may now be eligible for this grade. Please follow the relevant link above to find out more.

Incorporated Engineer

As an Associate Member, gaining professional registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) will provide proof of your skills and experience in the field of chemical engineering.  It is an important milestone in the career of any engineer and will show your employer and peers that you are progressing towards Chartered Chemical Engineer status.  IEng registration shows that you are committed to professional standards and to developing and enhancing your competence.

For a guide to IEng registration, download the IEng eBook from the Engineering Council website

To find out how to apply for registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) with IChemE, please contact our Membership Department

For more information


My IChemE

IChemE is a registered charity in England & Wales (214379), and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 039661).