Fellow - FIChemE

As a Fellow you are an engineering professional of distinction, making significant contribution to your profession. You demonstrate technical excellence and leadership of your peers.

What experience do I need?

Achieving Fellow status is about recognition of your role in an important position of responsibility in chemical engineering for a sufficient period. Your experience should be:

  • at a level greater than that required for Chartered status. You will be expected to have personal responsibility for decisions involving substantial resources and their consequences
  • sustained at this greater level than that required for Chartered status for a significant period of time, usually in the region of five years
  • a valuable contribution to your profession and may include training or mentoring young engineers, attendance at professional meetings, regional activities, work on committees, research, etc.
  • you can view profiles of recently elected Fellows to gain an idea of the level you should be working at


Please note: In order to apply for this grade you are required to be an existing IChemE Chartered Chemical Engineer (MIChemE). If you are not already an IChemE Chartered Chemical Engineer please apply for the Member grade first >>

How do I apply?

You'll need to provide the following information when you apply online:

  • details of your experience in an important post of responsibility in chemical engineering (max 100 words)
  • your contribution to the profession ie training young engineers, organising regional activities, work on committees, research etc (max 100 words)
  • a statement describing why and how the work you've undertaken over the last five years fulfils the requirements for Fellow (approx. 300 words)
  • an up-to-date detailed CV
  • organisation chart showing your current position
  • a minimum of two referees - either both Fellows, or one Fellow and one Chartered Member.

Start your application

Additional information:


My IChemE

IChemE is a registered charity in England & Wales (214379), and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 039661).